Saturday, October 12, 2013

Coldset & Alignment

I decided I would coldset the rear triangle yesterday, and check the frame for alignment. I used instructions I found online at The Plano Cyclist. It took about an hour, as I was being super careful to not hork things up. Long story short, the rear hub now fits beautifully.

I checked the frame alignment using a bit of cord wrapped around the bike. It was 2" on the left side, and 2.25" on the right. I'm not sure if that's factory, and I have no way of checking really. I'm going to assume it to be correct, and if I discover later that it's not, it'll be super easy to throw the bike on the work stand and start tweaking things.
I checked the measurements after I spread the frame, and they were the same. That's actually a good thing, as it means the triangle stayed "square" throughout the coldsetting process.

I also checked the rear dropouts for alignment, using the instructions I found on Seldon Brown's website. I used a couple of pieces of all-thread, rather than using a couple of old axles. It looked almost perfect, and a bout of pushing and pulling on the all-thread brought the dropouts into perfect alignment. I didn't even have to use a hammer.

I also went to the Post Office and picked up my newest bit of goodness for the bike.
Shimano 105 FC-1056 (eBay - $208.74 w/Shipping)
Super sexy. The eBay ad said there was some shop wear, but dammed if I can find it. If I didn't know this set was NOS, I'd swear it was brand new.

That's it for today, have a great weekend all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment