Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Project Raleigh Super Record 2013/2014

I recently bought a vintage (1981?) Raleigh Super Record on eBay, and I'm planning to use it as a "learn to wrench for myself" project this winter.
Currently, the bike is sitting in its shipping box, but, here's a photo from the original eBay ad, to give some idea of what I'm working with.

As near as I can tell, This bike was built in Japan around 1980/1981. It's difficult to know for sure as there just isn't a lot of information on the internet about the Super Record. It wasn't a top of the line model when new, in fact, it was closer to bottom of the line. It's still a decent bike, it's just not really "valuable" like a Raleigh Professional or Team Professional would be.

The bike was originally equipped with Raleigh-branded Suntour parts, and while everything seems to have a slight coat of rust on it, all the parts are there and in usable condition, except for the chain which will require replacement, and possibly the cables.
I really could just put it back together, clean everything up really good and ride it; and I may do just that.

I sort of have the urge to tinker a bit though. I'm torn between upgrading it with higher-end vintage stuff like Shimano 600 Arabesque, or equipping it with modern Shimano 105, or even some combination of both.
The cost looks to be roughly the same from what I can see on eBay other websites.
Hopefully the bike will tell me what it wants as the project moves forward.

If you would like to follow the progress of this project, I'll suggest that you use the "subscribe by email" link at the bottom of the post. Updates will be fairly infrequent until later this fall when I've managed to accumulate the tools and parts I need. Hopefully once I get going the project will move forward on a regular schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment